Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Monday Project Book Club


This Monday Project was to read a book about anything that had to do with healthy living, healthy body, healthy mind, fitness, cooking, whatever we wanted, as long as it had something to do with being healthy. The book I chose was Fit for Life by Harvey and Marilyn Diamond.

Fit for Life is the natural body cycle, permanent weight loss plan that proves it's not what you eat, but when you eat it and how. At least that is what it tells you on the cover. After reading the book and trying it out for a few days so far, I think they are right.

Here is how they break up your 24 hour day.

Cycle 1 Elimination (4a.m. to Noon) During this time period, the only thing you eat is fruit and/or real fruit juice. Having fruit or fruit juice exclusively before noon is the single most important facet of this program.

Cycle 2 Appropriation (Noon to 8 p.m.) Noon is the time of day when you enter the daily eating period. When you read the book, you learn the tools of proper food combining. Basicly, you never eat a starch with a meat or vegetable. You can have the burger, but you can't have the bun. You can have the mashed potato, but you can't have the roast beef. You can eat anything you want. It's what you eat with it that counts.

Cycle 3 Assimilation (8 p.m. to 4a.m.) You have taken in the food. Now it is time to give your body a chance to extract, absorb and utilize the nutrients in that food. No absorption can take place until the food has entered the intestines. A properly combined meal will be out of the stomach in approximately three hours and ready to be absorbed and assimilated. An improperly combined meal can remain in the stomach for eight to twelve hours or longer.

If what they say about fruit in this book is true, you never want to eat fruit with anything but fruit. What they say happens if you eat fruit with anything else is totaly gross. I won't go into detail, but rotting and decay are involved. Like I said, gross.

Bottom line is that I liked this book a lot. It made perfect sense to me. I'm giving it a try. I'm starting whole hog on Monday. I guess that is why I had pizza for dinner tonight at 9:30. It was a long day, don't judge.

p.s. I was also reading Master Your Metabolism by Jillian Michaels, but I haven't finished it. I wasn't in the mood for Jillian to be yelling at me in print. I'll get back to that eventually.

2 comments:

  1. Your book sounds very interesting! We had pizza the other night for dinner, so we are in the same boat, for sure. Love & blessings from NC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember this book! I've been reaing Vegan With a Vengence. Just sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. It makes me feel like I know you better. Even if you just say hi, please leave me one!