Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The 21 Day Challenge

Today starts a new challenge at the Sisterhood. It's all about forming new habits. Did you know that they say if you do something for 21 days it becomes a habit? We are going to be testing that theory. We are supposed to pick one to three new habits to try. I've picked mine. Would you like to hear what they are?

First, I am going to get more sleep. I am the worst at going to bed at a decent hour. It's not uncommon at all for me to go to bed at 1:00 and then get up for work at 5:45 or 6:00 at the latest. I know that isn't enough sleep, but it doesn't stop me from doing it. My plan is to do this in increments. The first week, I'm shooting for midnight, 11:30 the second week and 11:00 the third. Sounds logical, right?

Second, I am going to exercise no less than 30 minutes a day, six days a week. I've been slacking in that lately. I'm thinking that if I go to bed earlier, I can get up a little earlier and exercise before work. I have no excuses for not doing it later in the day then.

Third, I have to get back to drinking more water. When I gave up diet coke for lent, I drank a ton of water. I also drank a lot of ice tea. I still drink the ice tea, but the diet coke is creeping back in. When the diet coke creeps back in, the water gets put by the wayside. No more! I will drink more water starting tomorrow (she says as she takes a drink of diet coke).

Lastly, this is a weigh in day. I'm sorry to say that I gained this week. Not much, just .4 pounds. Without the Weight Loss Warriors to keep me honest, I slacked off a little. I have to get back my enthusiasm. I'll find it, I promise. I'm going to post this now and then go see what everyone else is doing. Talk to you all next week.

5 comments:

  1. Doh! I'm sitting here sipping a Diet Coke, too! Must get some water!! I'm bad about going to bed before midnight and also get up around 6ish! That should have been one of mine. I'll try your method and see how it works for me!

    Don't worry about the gain, and by all means keep in touch with your team! Just because that challenge is over doesn't mean you have to lose touch!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do the same thing about sleeping. Many nights I am still up at 1 or 1:30am reading blogs and then I get up around 5:30 or 6am. I never have been one to require a lot of sleep. Good luck with your challenge. Love & blessings from NC!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When does this start? I want to try it. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your goals. They are realistic. I can't believe you go to bed so late. Gaining only .4 is great! I am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, our goals do sound a lot the same. Here's hoping we can persevere for 21 days and have these great habits become part of our lives!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. It makes me feel like I know you better. Even if you just say hi, please leave me one!